Saturday, January 31, 2009

Good Times

Lately I've been really missing my family. Winter semester is always the hardest, I think, because there are no long breaks to go home. There are 2 three day weekends and that is it. I've always been close to my family and leaving for college didn't change that at all. I think it actually brought me closer to them. Sam and I didn't really get along until I left for college, I'm not quite sure what that means but our relationship is better. I guess coming to college has made me realize how important those 6 people are to me. And this semester I have come to realize how lucky I really am. I'm enrolled in a Family Interactions class. In this class we discuss all the dynamics of family systems and subsystems. I never realized the family could be so complicated. We were split up into "families" within the class so that we could create dynamics of our own. My family consists of 5 girls and as we discuss our families of origin some sad truths have surfaced. One woman in my group has 3 children ages 5, 3, and 18 months and is currently in a custody battle for her children. She comes to class everyday in fear that her husband will show up at the day care and take her kids. He has sent the police to her home and tried to have the kids taken away. I can't believe she is going to school, but she really has no choice now, she's the sole provider. I sometimes feel bad talking about my family because even though we aren't the perfect family we've got it together. I have a Dad who loves everyone of his kids and most importantly my mom. I have a mom who chose to be a stay at home mom and was always home for me and the boys after school. The boys and I may fight and pick on each other but it doesn't last long and I think if something were to happen to one of us the others would be there in a second. The Henrikson family may not be rolling in the dough, going on elaborate vacations, or even have everything we want but we've got all we need. The girls in my group are constantly in my prayers because I know they are struggling and every night I thank my Heavenly Father for my imperfect perfect little family. I love you guys!

These pictures are from our family camping trip to Fort Stevens this last summer. I really wanted to go camping at the beach and we finally did!! It was one of the best family vacations we've ever been on. We had such a good time! We visited all the old batteries at the Fort and spent some time on the beach. I took a million pictures...here are a few(and remember we were camping so we may not look our best).



This is one of my favorite pictures of Dad!

I LOVE mom! I call and talk to her everyday! She's the bestest friend I've ever had!

3 comments:

The Henriksons said...

Okay, you made me cry. That was one of our best family vacations. And I think we look great for being tent camping!! I love you girl!! mom

Holly said...

Hannah My Love! I've just been reading your blog and I have to say... I love you!!! You are such a sweetheart and I miss you. I am so excited that you guys are coming in less than 2 weeks. You really won't be able to get rid of me... :)

The Henriksons said...

Thanks for the blog Hannah. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing OK as a Dad. I must be doing something right to be blessed with such a wonderful daughter. And you are right, Fort Stevens was fun!!
You are the best Hannah!

Dad