Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Temple: My Refuge


One of the greatest blessings of Rexburg, Idaho is the Temple on the hill. It is so beautiful inside and out. My roommates and I, whenever coming back from Idaho Falls, see who can be the first to spot the Temple. We can always see it from the freeway especially at night when it's all lit up. The Temple has become so important to me these past two semesters. I have gone every week except for the 2 weeks it was closed for cleaning. And every time I've been the Temple has been full. I usually go on Thursdays because Saturdays are often a 3 hour or more wait. I don't mind the waiting though. It is so nice to just sit in the chapel, read my scriptures, and ponder. I think I've taken the Temple for granted most of my life and I'm so grateful everyday that the Temple is only a 30 minute walk away.
Today the Temple was my refuge not only from worldly troubles but the Rexburg weather. I had class in the Ricks building which is only a 5 or so minute walk from the Temple. Usually the walk isn't so bad and when I left the apartment this morning at 9 the sun was hiding behind the clouds and although it was a little windy it really wasn't so bad. When I got out of class at 11:15 the wind had picked up and it had begun to snow. It was like a small blizzard. I began my trek toward the Temple as the wind blew against me and the snow pelted me in the face making it almost impossible to see. I trudged along pulling my skirt down and so glad I'd worn leggings today. My only thought was to get to the warm Temple and inside away from the wind and snow. When I finally arrived at the Temple doors the whole right side of my body was covered in snow, my hair was wet, and my fingers were frozen. An elderly Temple worker held the door open for me and welcomed me in. Two sisters handed me my baptismal clothes and I was so happy to change into something warm. As I sat in the chapel warm and safe I thought of how the Temple truly is a refuge, a place to leave the cares of the world behind. There are so many worldly possessions, trials, and feelings that disappear when one enters the Temple. The snow, the wind, and the cold of Rexburg can be likened to these. The snow and wind of the world beats at us and sometimes it feels as if you'll never be able to get out but the Temple allows us to do so. It brings calm and peace and you leave with added strength to endure. That is what was confirmed to me at the Temple today. The elderly workers are so sweet the sister who handed me my towel gave me a little hug and I felt her love and I was strengthened. I may go there to help those who have passed on but in the end I feel as if I am the one who was helped the most. And I didn't have to walk home, although it had stopped snowing the wind was still going. A girl arrived to do baptisms but the chapel was so full they weren't letting any more people in, so she gave me a ride home. I love the Temple and am so grateful for the opportunity I have to go once a week and be edified and taught by the spirit.

1 comment:

The Henriksons said...

You are truly blessed to have the temple so close and have the opportunity to go so often. The temple is a very special place. Dad and I are going tonight. Our temple has been closed all of Feb and opened up again this week. Yeah! Mom