Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Unwind


I recently read "Unwind" by Neal Shusterman. The book takes place in the not too distance future and the war on abortion has ended. Since neither sides could agree on what to do the "Bill of Life" was created. It states that sanctity of life is protected until the ages between 13-18. During this time parents can choose to have their children "unwound". In this process their organs and body parts are harvested, therefore the child "lives on". In this book three teens; Connor a teen who's caused trouble at home and in school, Risa a warden of the state who just wasn't good enough, and Lev the tenth child and a "tithe", are running for their lives to escape being unwound. I found this book so fascinating. The author really builds upon this idea and how it would affect individuals, families, societies, and the whole country. The idea really made me think about how I value human life and I can't imagine a society like this. At one point the author actually goes describes an unwinding from the point of view from a child being unwound, the individual is awake throughout the whole procedure. HOLY COW! That was intense! I would definitely recommend this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

4 comments:

The Henriksons said...

I hope I can convince the ladies to read it for book club! If not I will have to read it on my own. Love ya girl! Mom

Hannah said...

I think it would be a fabulous Book Club read because there is a lot you could discuss. Make them read it. Say that i said so! haha

AubsandKenny said...

I love a good book :) thanks

Vip said...

I will totally have to read this book, what a great plot concept.