Thursday, September 16, 2010

Memories are Forever

This week in my young adult literature class we read and discussed The Giver by Lois Lowry. A theme that I found throughout the book was memories and how they shape our lives. At one point the Giver tells Jonas that if he were to die his "memories would not be lost with you. Memories are forever." That really got me to thinking...

Time does heal wounds, slowly but surely sometimes. But it doesn't take away the memories and for that I am truly grateful. Today I am grateful for happy memories. Memories of giggling late into the night on a rafting trip and camp outs. The memory of downing at least one maybe two whole cans of aerosol whip cream and feeling a little lightheaded after inhaling the left over toxins. Memories of high school psychology and watching Johnny Lingo. Memories of smiles, laughs, and good times. But there are also memories of coming together and bonding with people I hardly knew. A school auditorium filled with students of many different religions and backgrounds singing hymns for the whole school day. Memories of praying for understanding. The memory of holding my best friend as she cried. Memories of crying because it seemed so unfair but knowing that the Lord has a purpose.

I thought that in time I would forget. That September 16th and the days surrounding would someday become just another normal day. But my sobbing during the closing hymn of "All Creatures of our God and King" on Sunday showed me that maybe we're not supposed to completely forget. That maybe we need to remember for a reason. That remembering can bring us closer to our Savior as we seek comfort and understanding. That by remembering we will never forget that life is fragile. Any second we could be called home. And also by remembering we won't forget that this life isn't all there is...there is so much more awaiting us. While remembering can bring sadness we can also find joy in the happy memories. The good memories that will last us forever. The forever memories that bring us together as they are shared and that help us to never forget.

Hey! You Dufur!!
I won't forget.

6 comments:

The Henriksons said...

Thanks Hannah!! You made me remember and cry! I love you lots! Mom

The Henriksons said...

Thanks be to the Lord for memories. Thanks for the perspective.

Dad

Vip said...

I read and The Giver and thought the same thing. Memories make up our experiences and ultimatly that is why we are here to gain experience. Great post!

Brenda said...

Hannah it is times like these that I miss you guys the most. By the way I love that book!

Nellieloue23 said...

You know what is so crazy? We sang that song in church on Sunday too! That song with so many others will always be remembered that way. She was wonderful! I'm grateful that she gave us so many amazing memories!

Messie said...

I think you held a lot of people as they cried, but I remember you holding me. I remember coming over to your house randomly one day and just walking and talking and eating Quakers. You helped me so much during that time. I still have the picture you gave me with us in our "ha ha" circle. It makes me smile and yes, remember... What fun times! God never forgets us in our times of struggle. He sends good friends like you to help us get through and to feel His love. You did that for me Hannah! You are amazing!