Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What I Love About Being a Nanny that Makes Me Excited to be a Mom Someday

  • Picking the kids up from school. They climb into the car, I ask them how their day went, Adam responds with the same "okay" every time and Kennedy...well it's always different!
  • Snack Time. I ask Kennedy and Adam what their favorite part of the day was as I make the next day's lunches.
  • Listening and watching Kennedy play with her dolls or Princess. She says the craziest things that I just laugh so hard! Oh my gosh when she talks on her "cell phone"...you can tell that she listens to her Mom talk on the phone, the topics are so random and "motherish" She's a scream!
  • The mornings when Kennedy wakes up sleepy and curls up with me on the couch under a blanket and we snooze for a few minutes more. ( I remember doing this with my mom)
  • Now this one doesn't make me excited to be a mom but I enjoy it as a Nanny...Whenever I take Josh(11 yrs) to baseball, band, or a friend's he has me drop him off the farthest away possible. When my son/daughter does this I will be a little sad but as the Nanny I just have to smile at his embarrassment.
  • Swimming Lessons...They have 2 weeks sessions they attend and on the last day of the session the parents get to go in and watch and the kids demonstrate what they've learned. Then we get to swim with them.
  • Something I don't so much love...Monopoly.
  • Quiet Time. During the summer for an hour each day we have quiet time, Josh, Adam, and Kennedy go into their rooms to read, write, or do whatever and I, well...need I say more?
  • Whenever I drag Adam out of his quiet mode and we have a little conversation, it makes me happy :)
  • Story Time, I love reading aloud and Kennedy's a good listener
  • Making cup cakes and letting Kennedy lick the spoon.
I love being a Nanny! It is the best job ever and I am so blessed to be able to return to this job for the third summer in a row. I love my kids, they make me laugh although some days I'm glad I'm just the nanny and can leave at 5:30 when Mom and Dad get home. When I go to swimming and recitals or listen to the kids tell about their day at school I feel sad at how much Mom is missing. Although she is a good Mom, great even. When she gets home from work she spends time with her kids. And I've realized that I don't want to miss the little moments. Sure one can take work off to go to a baseball game or recital but one can't take work off to miss the little moments that happen throughout the day. I don't want to miss those with my kids. So I hope that I can stay home and I know there will be some days when I wish I was any where but home, but it's all good. I'm looking forward to the kids being out of school and this summer. It'll be a big adventure and another great learning experience!

1 comment:

The VIPs said...

you're right, being a Mom is awesome and it sounds like you'll be a great one! :)